One of the downfalls of the season changing is people get sick. And in our household, it also means my little brother’s bronchitis starts to act up. One of the things that help his cough is honey. The only problem is he does not like drinking tea with honey and lemon. But one thing he for sure loves is candy, especially lollipops. So, making honey lollipops was the perfect solution. This recipe is super simple and I made it without a candy thermometer or lollipop molds. If you happen to have these materials, they will make the process a lot easier but you can do it without them! I found the honey recipe on the following website: http://www.carolynshomework.com/2013/08/good-taste-winnie-pooh-honey-hunny-pops.html .
The powder sugar lollipop molds are on the following website: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2011/08/02/lorann-flavors-lolly-lolly-lolly-get-your-flavors-here/
What you will need:
|1 cups of honey||Sauce Pan|
|Cup of water||Baking Pan|
|Powder Sugar||Lollipop Sticks|
- Spread powder sugar over a baking pan. Smooth it out lightly to an even layer that nearly reaches the top of the pan. Then take a tablespoon and press it into the powder sugar to form a well. This is your lollipop mold! Place lollipop sticks half way from the well you created.
- Place a cup of honey on a sauce pan.
- Stir continuously on medium heat.
- Keep stirring and boiling until the honey reaches 300 degrees. If you don’t have a candy thermometer add a drop of the boiling honey to a cup of cold water. When the honey drop hardens and forms a ball it’s ready. (I boiled my honey for fifteen minutes, however, the time may vary so test your honey with the cup of water method.)
- When your honey is ready, pour into a GLASS measuring cup! This will make it easier to pour into your home-made mold.
- Working quickly, pour honey into home-made powder sugar molds. Do not worry about the strings of candy that will form will you pour from lollipop to lollipop. These will harden and when cooled you can remove them.
- Let your lollipops set for about 30 minutes to an hour to allow them to harden.
* Have your lollipop molds ready before you start to boil the honey. You have to work FAST when the honey is ready!
*Do not fill your lollipop molds all the way to the top, stop two thirds of the way, the honey will over flow if filled all the way.
*Do not use any type of plastic, it will melt….. Trust me, my plastic measuring cup was ruined
*If you do not have lollipop sticks, you can use plastic spoons. ( I know I said before not to use anything plastic, but this is the exception).
Do not be afraid, there are a couple of steps but if you read through everything you can do it!
“Every Pro was once an amateur. Every Expert was once a beginner. So dream Big and start Now!”